Site Navigation

Tampa Family Law Attorney
and Counselor of Law

Outstanding Avvo RatingThe Florida Bar Badge


What papers do I need when I start a divorce case in Florida?

Deciding to go through a divorce is a difficult choice. Considering how the divorce process will affect you and your family in both short terms and long term is one of the toughest parts in making a decision to go through it. Taking as much time as is available to consider the effects will benefit you and your family during the separation.

Filing for divorce means you have given your petition for dissolution of marriage to the clerk’s office of the circuit court for the county where you are filing. You will need to have your petition notarized before filing with the court. Most courthouses will have a notary present who can do this for a fee. You’ll give a copy of your signed and notarized petition to the clerk, along with the filing fee for a dissolution of marriage, and they should give you a copy with a date stamp and notation showing that it has been filed with the court. Be sure to make a copy of the petition for yourself, as well as an additional copy to serve on your spouse.

In addition, preparing for the financial impacts brought by divorce is a must. Child custody, alimony, and equitable distribution must be put into account when you determine your needs after divorce. Being prepared to communicate your stance on these issues will assist your attorney successfully represent you.

For divorce assistance, contact the Divorce Attorney Tampa for your Free Consultation at (813) 336-3616.

The information provided is for your reference only, is not intended to be advice, and should not be construed as such. The information provided or legal statutes may change at any time, and we are not accountable for the accuracy of this information. Use of this website or information provided does not constitute a client-attorney relationship. Please contact us for legal assistance with your specific question or need.