Site Navigation

What if I need child support while the divorce is still in process in Florida?

In the state of Florida, statute regarding pendent lite reads as follows:

“In every proceeding for dissolution of the marriage, a party may claim alimony and suit money in the petition or by motion, and if the petition is well founded, the court shall allow a reasonable sum therefor. If a party in any proceeding for dissolution of marriage claims alimony or suit money in his or her answer or by motion, and the answer or motion is well founded, the court shall allow a reasonable sum therefor.”

In cases where children are involved, pendent lite is usually given due to the circumstance. As far as the amount of money owed or duration of payments, this is determined based on the case. The condition of pendente lite, however, is that it is upheld until final litigation is agreed on, therefore dissolving the need for it.

This means that if there is a significant difference between income earned by two spouses, the one who earns greater income will be financially responsible for the other until everything has been finalized.

For divorce assistance, contact the Divorce Attorney Tampa for your Free Consultation at (813) 336-3616.

The information provided is for your reference only, is not intended to be advice, and should not be construed as such. The information provided or legal statutes may change at any time, and we are not accountable for the accuracy of this information. Use of this website or information provided does not constitute a client-attorney relationship. Please contact us for legal assistance with your specific question or need.