Site Navigation

Tampa Family Law Attorney
and Counselor of Law

Outstanding Avvo RatingThe Florida Bar Badge


Can I go back to my maiden name after my divorce in Florida?

Yes, you can. In Florida, you can have your maiden name restored in a Judgment of Dissolution of Marriage, which is what a divorce decree is called in the state. You must ask the judge to include the request in the document. Once the judge grants your request, you will need to inform other institutions about the change.

If your divorce decree has already been granted by a judge but did not include a request to return to your maiden name, you can still make a legal request to change your name, however it may require another court appearance.

After a Florida judge grants your name change request in the divorce, you need to let the Social Security Administration know as soon as possible. Complete an application for a new Social Security card and attach a certified copy of the divorce decree. You will need identification with your pre-divorce name to prove you are who you say you are. Finally, provide a birth certificate, passport or another official document to prove you are a United States citizen.

Once you have obtained a new social security card, you can file for a new driver’s license, passport, or other updated documents reflecting your name change through the normal channels, and can legally go back to using your maiden name on any official documents.

For divorce assistance, contact the Divorce Attorney Tampa for your Free Consultation at (813) 336-3616.

The information provided is for your reference only, is not intended to be advice, and should not be construed as such. The information provided or legal statutes may change at any time, and we are not accountable for the accuracy of this information. Use of this website or information provided does not constitute a client-attorney relationship. Please contact us for legal assistance with your specific question or need.